February 28 2018
Volunteer of the Month for February is Judy Cooper of Clwb Padlo Dysynni. The modest volunteer from the Tywyn area feels a little uncomfortable receiving the award, as she believes that she is very much part of a team of volunteers, that she is very proud to be involved with.
Having said that, the once popular Clwb Padlo Dysynni’s last remaining volunteer coach sadly passed away recently, and following a meeting with the remaining few members about the future of the club, it was Judy that got in touch to resurrect the club. Pulling together people to coach and a committee to govern the club, seeking guidance from the Outdoor Partnership, and trying to source funding, amongst many other roles.
With the help of other volunteers, here are some achievements to date;
• Created new committee
• Developed and updated new policies
• Increased the membership to 27 with a waiting list
• Regular weekly pool sessions October to April ,then weekly outside sessions for the rest of the year
• Developing the paddle power scheme within the club
• Developing the club assistant scheme
• Completed many grant applications for funding , attended meetings ,chasing local council for funding and a clubhouse area.
• Chasing and sourcing equipment ,begged and borrowed
• Trying to increase their pool of coaches
• Developing access arrangements for our outside venues.
• Creating a calendar of events i.e. canoe camp
Every club needs a constant steady focal presence; I guess Judy is that person.
Judy said, “I look forward to suggesting other people for this award in the future, it’s been a busy year but we’ve had great support especially the committee members and the coaches.
We are very fortunate to have a group of amazing young people and supportive parents”